Thursday, February 1, 2007

My response after listening to Janet Cardiff's work- Whitechapel walk

After listening to her work, Whitechapel walk, I feel little bit tired. Although it is not long journey, I have to use my mind to imagine the pictures that she want me to see. At the beginning, it was relaxing and enjoyable. However, the clip became more and more personal, which bored me a bit. She starts to talk about her grandma, her dog, her dream and her kiss… the freaky voice of a man is like a spirit haunting her, which make me felt uncomfortable. I have no idea what role he was playing, because they sometimes have conversations, but sometimes just like the man talking in air.
However, I appreciate the way she sees things. She can describe some minor things in very detail ways. For instance, when she passed by the lecture room, I could really imagine how the teacher gave lessons to her students. A full picture existed in my mind. My feeling is like being a blind person, led by her for a walk. It is interesting!

No comments: