Sunday, April 15, 2007

Art/ Cultural event (1)

7th February, 2007
Art History Lecture: Heather McGuire on contemporary conceptual artist John Baldessari


This is the first art lecture I attended this semester. When the Lecturer started presenting, this first image we saw was a photograph of the artist, Baldessari standing in one of his Gallery with his works as background. This photograph is my favorite pieces among all the slides she has shown in the presentation.

The gallery has sky color carpet and the LA transport system on the ceiling. The reverse of “rightness” in our mind aroused my interest to know more about this artist.

Actually, I was quite impressed by the artist’s “rebellious”. There was a quote of his WRONG definition(1967); he said a piece of art work could be wrong to others, but right to the artist himself. I believe he was one of the supporters of the ‘everything could be an art” concept.

He said that “language” is a material in making art. In 1971, he invited different people to write “I will not make any more boring art” repeatedly on the wall. The different handwritings and different colors of paints people used composed an interesting image, an art.

Sometimes when I draw or making digital imaging, I hesitate to add words on my artwork. Words could help expressing the information; it could also ruin the whole idea of the art work if it is not used appropriately.

“Language is not transparent.” (1970)

However, after appreciating John Baldassari’s art works, I feel easier when I have to make decision on using language on art work or not.

And he is really cool because he took picture of pencil before and after sharpening it. (The Pencil Story 1972-1973) Sharpening a pencil could be also defined as art, I can also call my works as art confidently.

Here is a link to John Baldassari's web page. Besides the art works, interviews, bibliography etc., it is a well designed web site which worth spending time on studying.

No comments: