Thursday, April 19, 2007

Art/ Cultural event (4)

14th March 2007: Metropolitan Museum of Arts

During the trip to New York in spring break, I went to 4 museums. I was so impressed by the art works. Most importantly, I can feel the way people appreciate art and respect art in US, in NYC.

Metropolitan Museum of Arts is the most famous museum in Manhanttan (I guess). It is so huge that one day is not enough for walking around. I had very strong feeling about the displayed items. Since I didn’t have time, I just walked around theme exhibition, Egypt, the Asian historical arts, and the western painting sections.

The effort and time people put in investigation is appreciated. Thousands and thousands of ancient Egypt accessories, drawing, letters, sculptures, and mummies were kept in good condition. Here are some pictures I took in the exhibition.









When I was walking in the Chinese historical section, my heart felt pain. I have never seen such a big collection of Chinese ancient ‘evidence’. On one hand, I feel bad because American took our national properties and show them in their own country proudly. On another hand, the pain was mainly from shame. Chinese people are so unaware of our past. While foreigners treated the little pieces as treasures, Chinese treated them as trash.




The Western painting section was my favorite. I used to learn painting when I was younger. I haven’t picked my paint and brushes for years. The paintings are really amazing and perfect.



I hope some day; we can also have a great museum like this in our country. A museum collects all kinds of art work in the past and present.

No comments: